When you go to sell a home, it can be challenging to figure out what you're going to end up being financially responsible for. Read on for a brief list of real estate fees you can expect to pay when you sell.
First, it varies greatly by location when determining who pays what. California is different than Florida, Northern California is different than Southern California, and so on. If you ask us for a net sheet for your home, we can get you a precise answer, but here is a quick answer.
Sellers typically pay:
- Buyer agent commission, if any
- County transfer taxes
- Smoke/carbon monoxide detector installation, if necessary
- Water heater bracing, if necessary (California)
- HOA transfer fees, if any
- Home warranty for buyer (usually about $500 )
- Natural Hazard Disclosure report (California, usually about $125)
- Survey (Florida only)
The responsibility for paying escrow and title fees and city transfer taxes varies widely from place to place. If you are in California, find your city and county on this chart to see who pays what in your area.
Approximately 60% of the time, we see the seller pay for the termite inspection and any remediation of Section 1 termite issues. The other 40%, we find that termite issues are not investigated or remediated as part of the transaction.
For a more detailed list of seller fees and explanations of what each one is, check out this post. It's California specific, but most of the terms carry over to other states.
Interested in buying or selling?
We've improved the traditional real estate model with modern technology to cut costs, not quality.Get started today
Posted in Real Estate Negotiations
- Selling a House (93)
- Real Estate Investing (53)
- Preparing to Sell Your Home (49)
- Real Estate Negotiations (25)
- Escrow (24)
- Home Improvement (23)
- Homeowner How-To's (23)
- Investment Property (20)
- Homeowner Advice (18)
- Buying a House (17)
- Marketing Your Home (17)
- Pricing Your Home (14)
- Real Estate Market (14)
- Showings & Open Houses (14)
- House Flipping (13)
- Homeowner Hacks (13)
- Listing Your Home (13)
- Home Trends (12)
- Seller Savings (12)
- Home Showings (11)