When you’e selling your home, you want to maximize your listing’s exposure in order to increase your chances of selling quickly at a great price. In many cases, sellers assume that by listing on a giant real estate site – like Zillow – they’ll get all the exposure they need. There are already tons of people searching for homes on Zillow – so it’s probably not worth the time and hassle to list on additional portals, right? Well…
…Mythbusters called… and after testing that theory, they deemed it FALSE. But why?
When you list on Zillow…
…you have the potential to reach the roughly 22% of buyers who use the site to search for their home. But on the flip side of that percentage, that means you’re actually missing the opportunity to connect with the other 78% of potential buyers in the real estate market. Ouch! So where else do you need to post your listing to connect with those buyers?
Realtor.com is Gaining Ground:
Rupert Murdoch’s company, News Corp, purchased Realtor.com last year for $950 million. With a shiny new website, updated branding and plenty of marketing dollars behind it, it is no surprise to see the site gaining popularity in the real estate space.
In fact, Realtor.com now commands 11% of real estate traffic and has seen a nearly 3% growth in its web traffic just this year. This may not seem like much, until you realize that Zillow’s web traffic growth during that same period was only 0.07% and Trulia’s was 0.25%. Backed by the strength of News Corp, we expect realtor.com to continue to gain ground on Zillow and other competitors in the market.
More than 800 local MLS boards around the country feed their property listings directly to Realtor.com. That means that Realtor.com’s listings are the most accurate and up-to-date of any site out there. At the time of this writing, and likely the foreseeable future, the only way to get your home listed on realtor.com is by getting on the MLS.
List Your Home on the MLS for Maximum Exposure:
Making sure you have a real estate listing on the MLS is key. By doing so, your listing will be automatically syndicated to realtor.com, Trulia, Redfin, Yahoo Homes and hundreds of local real estate agent websites. Essentially, it takes the same amount of time as listing it on Zillow or Trulia alone – but it provides a tidal wave of marketing and other benefits to your listing.
The bottom line is, there’s really only one tried-and-true way to get the most exposure for the least amount of cash – listing on the MLS. Doing so will not only allow you to syndicate your listing out to literally hundreds of sites, it will also connect you with the 98% of buyers scouring every corner of the internet for their dream home.
Interested in buying or selling?
We've improved the traditional real estate model with modern technology to cut costs, not quality.Get started today
Posted in Marketing Your Home
- New Listing (162)
- Seller Advice (97)
- Preparing to Sell (67)
- Real Estate Investing (46)
- Just Sold (40)
- Featured (29)
- Real Estate Market (28)
- California Real Estate (27)
- Offers & Counters (27)
- Seller Savings (27)
- Marketing Your Home (26)
- Escrow (25)
- Homeowner How-To's (25)
- Home Improvement (24)
- Homeowner Advice (23)
- Showings & Open Houses (23)
- Listing Your Home for Sale (22)
- Pricing Your Home (21)
- Infographics (16)
- Buyer Advice (14)